Earlier this year the American Society of Plastic Surgeons released their annual report of plastic surgery stats collected from doctors all across the country. Unsurprisingly, dermal fillers were far and away the most popular procedure for the entire year, including surgical and nonsurgical procedures, male and female patients, and reconstructive surgery. Botulinum toxin injections, like Botox and Dysport, led the charge with almost 7 million injections! Other dermal fillers, such as Juvederm, Perlane, and Radiesse, had about half the popularity, but still claimed the second-place spot with almost 3 million injections.
What is it that makes dermal fillers so popular? Let’s count the ways!
- The Way They Add Support to Your Skin – Aging causes your skin to lose important nutrients that give it stability and support. Fillers like Juvederm that consist of synthetic hyaluronic acid help restore some of the vital ingredients to have firm, structured skin. These types of fillers also help provide hydration so that your skin has a bright, vibrant look.
- The Way They Give Your Skin Dimension – Getting older also means losing volume in your face, especially around your cheeks, chin, and jaw line. This makes your face look hollow or flat because there is very little contouring among your facial features. Calcium hydroxyapetite fillers like Radiesse are essentially a gel that can be injected into these areas to recreate volume, giving your face better definition and contouring.
- The Way They Minimize Wrinkles – Easily the most well-known benefit of dermal fillers! There are several options available to patients depending on their skin type, the condition of their wrinkles, and their doctor’s preference based on experience. Some fillers work best by adding volume underneath the wrinkles while others work by relaxing the muscles that cause them.
- The Way They Have Little to No Recovery Time – Most filler sessions take about half an hour, though some can be more or less depending on the number and type of injections. It’s easy and simple enough to be done on your lunch break! Dermal fillers carry a very low risk and have minimal side effects, if you have any at all.
- The Way They Give You a Dry Run at Surgery – In some cases, dermal fillers can be an experiment on the results of a surgical procedure. For example, if you are considering chin or cheek augmentation, but aren’t sure about getting the surgery, volumizing fillers can give you an idea of what your face might look like following the procedure.
- The Way They Cost Less – Since fillers are non-invasive, they are significantly less expensive than a surgical procedure. They are by no means a complete substitute for surgery; some patients will benefit more from a surgical procedure than filler injections. However, for patients who don’t yet require a more invasive method of improving their appearance, dermal fillers are an inexpensive way of getting it done.
- The Amazing Way They Improve Your Appearance – Getting older isn’t always easy, especially when that is reflected in your face, but dermal fillers are capable of some amazing changes to how you look. This is the main reason why they are so popular – they do so much to make you look and feel fantastic!
Dr. Bustillo offers two major types of dermal fillers: hyaluronic acids, which improve your skin’s structure, and calcium hydroxyapetite fillers, which add volume to your skin. He also offers Botox and Dysport, two botulinum toxins that are extremely effective at improving the look of wrinkles. To schedule a consultation, call (305) 663-3380 today!