Any surgical consultation can feel a little overwhelming; you’re learning about the procedure, getting instructions from the doctor, and trying to imagine the results before you’ve even sat down to process everything. Have you learned everything you need to know? Does your doctor know everything they need to know? Did you choose the right doctor? Is this even the right procedure for you? These are all questions that could be going through your mind before and even during your facelift consultation. They are all important questions, among many others that you probably don’t even think about until later. Some things should be asked of your doctor, and we’ll help you figure out some good questions.
Questions About Your Doctor
Understanding your doctor is possibly one of the most important things about your consultation. You need to know whether your doctor is educated and skilled enough to perform your surgery, otherwise you could be putting yourself at serious risk. It’s essential that you ascertain your doctor’s qualifications either before or during your consultation. You can do some research about your doctor beforehand, but you can also ask the following questions during your appointment:
- How long have you been a plastic surgeon?
- Where were you educated?
- Did you complete any fellowships?
- What board certifications do you have?
- How much of your practice is dedicated to facelift surgery?
- How many patients do you see in a year?
- Is facelift surgery the only procedure you do?
- Do you specialize in any procedures?
Any plastic surgeon worth seeing needs to be board certified to practice and have several years of training under their belt. Plastic surgeons can become specialists in certain procedures as well, which means that they have dedicated their practice to perfecting and advancing the techniques used in those specific surgeries.
Questions About Your Procedure
Even if you’ve had plastic surgery before, you still need to be informed about your current procedure ahead of time. Knowing what to expect helps alleviate your anxiety or fears regarding the procedure and gives you more confidence in your decision to move forward. Listening to your doctor explain the procedure to you also gives you confidence in your doctor. If they can’t explain it to you in simple terms, you might want to think twice about that doctor. Here are some questions that are good to ask about your procedure:
- Will the procedure use anesthesia?
- Are your anesthesiologists board certified?
- What happens during the procedure?
- Are there any incisions? Where are they made?
- Am I a good candidate for a facelift?
- What are my options other than facelift surgery?
- How long will the procedure last?
- What are the risks and complications associated with the procedure?
- Can I see photos from other facelift procedures you’ve done?
There are probably many more questions you’ll have about the procedure, but this will help cover the most important information.
Questions About Your Recovery
The recovery is just as important as the procedure. You need to know how to take care of yourself, what to watch out for, and what to do in case of an emergency. These are things you need to know before your procedure so you can be prepared as soon as you leave the doctor’s office after the surgery is over.
- How much pain and discomfort can I expect when the procedure is over?
- How should I deal with any pain and discomfort?
- Will there be any swelling or bruising?
- How should I deal with any swelling or bruising?
- How long will the recovery last?
- Will there be any stitches?
- How soon can I wash my hair?
- What problems should I watch for during the recovery?
- What should I do if there is an emergency?
- Will I be able to reach you if I have questions?
- When can I go back to work?
- Are there things I should avoid while I recover?
- Are there things I should be doing while I recover?
You should be getting a full and complete list of instructions for your post-op care, but these are questions that will help you understand your role in the recovery process.
One Last Question…
By now, you might need only one more question answered – how do I schedule a consultation? Facelift consultations can be made by contacting a doctor’s office. Dr. Andres Bustillo is a board certified facial plastic surgeon with over ten years of experience with facelift surgery who practices in Miami, FL. About half of Dr. Bustillo’s patients come to him for facelift surgery, and they come from all over the world. Dr. Bustillo uses the most advanced techniques and methods for facelift surgery and treats each patient as a unique individual rather than “just another facelift”.
Dr. Bustillo may be contacted for facelift consultations by calling (305) 663-3380.