A revision rhinoplasty is often an emotional event in a person’s life. Sometimes it comes on the back of dissatisfaction with another surgeon’s work, or is the result of accidental damage (such as through a sports injury) or just part of the aging process.
Changing to another surgeon is also an emotional decision, especially when one is not happy with the previous surgeon’s work. After all, they are in the same field, why should things be any different?
Answering these questions is part of Dr. Bustillo’s ongoing pledge to educate his clients as well as improve their looks and confidence by making subtle, yet telling, alterations to their facial appearance. And often the first concern is linked to that very point.
Will I Look the Same as Before?
For clients who have had the initial surgery to correct the way they look, Dr. Bustillo’s advocacy of the “return to normalcy” might be a little worrying. After all, they don’t want to go back to what their nose looked like before, they are looking for an improvement.
An improvement is exactly what Dr. Bustillo is offering; his return-to-normalcy approach isn’t to repair the nose, but also to ensure that it is in natural harmony with the rest of the face.
It’s a case of viewing normalcy in aesthetic and medical terms — restoring both form and function in the process — rather than merely undoing poor or flawed primary surgery. Of course, secondary surgery is not without its own problems, and one of those is excessive swelling.
Post-Operative Swelling: When Can I Go Back to Work?
It is true that often there is more swelling after a revision rhinoplasty, and that the recovery time may be longer as a result. Indeed, in extreme cases people often fear that the nasal asymmetry caused by the swelling may be permanent, since it can take so long to dissipate completely.
It can take some months for the swelling to go down and for the nose to recover from a primary rhinoplasty. And if similar surgery is carried out on skin that has become scar tissue, then the swelling can be more pronounced. This is especially true of the tip:
Subsequent surgical interventions will cause further, temporary damage, and therefore swelling can be prolonged. According to Dr. Bustillo, 70 percent of the swelling will go down in the first month, and the remaining 30 percent can take up to a year to disappear.
For those anxious about returning to work, it really is a case of waiting for several weeks for the worst of the swelling to go down, to have the cast removed, stitches out, and to be confident that there is no more critical after-care to apply, or post-operative complications with which to contend.
The result will be worth the wait, of that Dr. Bustillo is confident. However, patients are entitled to ask themselves why one surgeon may succeed over another, or why this time will be any different.
Why Will This Time Be Better?
Dr. Bustillo specializes in nasal surgery, and performs in excess of 300 nasal surgeries per year; he has seen virtually every kind of rhinoplasty failure, from short term defects to long-term degradation, and has written authoritative texts on the subject of facial surgery.
As a result of his continued interest in improvements in techniques, and insistence that he achieves a natural result every time, he has received the highest compliments from satisfied customers. His surgical track record is revealed through the revision rhinoplasty before and after photographs on the website.
The website is also where you can find more information, and contact the Miami-based practice. You can also call 305-663-3380 to get answers to any questions and advice on a suitable time for a first consultation.