The first way to determine whether you should get a neck lift begins at home. You don’t need to go to the doctor to take this simple test: Pinch the area under your chin, pull it, then release it. Does it “snap” back? Or does it dangle?
Five Reasons to Get a Neck Lift:
1. Your skin has aged: In our 40s, our skin’s proteins, such as collagen and elastin, start to decrease, causing the skin to weaken and thin. Note that after your late 40s, a necklift may not be an option because the skin has sagged to the point that a necklift won’t work alone.
2. You’re under 40, but you’ve lost a notable amount of weight.
3. A previous facelift has left undesirable results: You’re happy with the facelift procedure, but now notice the neck area is visibly aging you.
4. Your platysma muscle, which begins in the lower part of the face and runs down the entire neck, has descended due to age, causing bands to appear on the front of your neck.
5. Non-invasive neck tightening is not the answer for your particular case. The procedure claims to tighten the neck skin, but it doesn’t deliver the results you could achieve by getting a necklift.
What the Neck Lift Does:
The two areas of the neck that are usually worked on are the platysma neck muscles and the fat that accumulates under the chin. Through a small incision in the neck, a platysmasplasty will tighten these neck muscles. And to further define and tighten the neck, the platysma will also be pulled from the sides. The fat will be removed from the submental area, or the area beneath the chin, with Dr. Bustillo removing enough fat to sculpt the neck while also maintaining a natural appearance. The only area that cannot be improved is the skin. Patients who would like a substantial amount of skin to be removed should consider a facelift. During a consultation, Dr. Bustillo will address such concerns.
Dr. Bustillo is a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who has been in practice for over 10 years. He’s known for providing his patients with the results they want: Plastic surgery that looks both natural and conservative. For more information or to schedule your consultation, you can reach Dr. Bustillo’s Miami-based practice at 305-663-3380.