Most people have heard of Botox, but it is not the only anti-aging injectable that treats wrinkles. There is another FDA-approved botulinum toxin-based treatment called Dysport.
The differences between the two formulas are minimal, and Botox and Dysport treat wrinkles in the same way. They both contain the ingredient botulinum toxin, and both are administered by injecting the formula to specific facial areas to reduce signs of aging such as dynamic wrinkles.
What Are Dynamic Wrinkles?
Repetitive facial motions in areas of the face that tend to move a lot, like the eyebrows and the corners of the eyes, create the appearance of dynamic wrinkles. Botox and Dysport both work by temporarily paralyzing the muscles that cause dynamic wrinkles, relaxing the lines and creating a smooth appearance.
Is One Better Than the Other?
Botox and Dysport are both considered highly effective and safe treatments.
- Dysport is considered to work more quickly than Botox. While both Botox and Dysport have a treatment onset of a few days after treatment, Dysport’s benefits tend to show sooner than Botox.
- Dysport also lasts longer sometimes. Patients often report results lasting several months longer after treatment than Botox. Both formulas last about four to five months before another treatment is needed.
- Dysport can lift the brow area more than Botox. This is because it tends to spread out more from the injection area following treatment.
- Dysport can also be more cost-effective for patients than Botox.
- Some people can develop a tolerance to Botox. Over time, this can make it a less effective wrinkle treatment. Dysport is an excellent replacement for those patients dealing with this issue.
- One issue with Dysport is that it contains lactose. This makes it unsuitable for lactose intolerant patients.
Administration of Botox and Dysport Injections
The biggest advantage of injectable treatments like Botox and Dysport is that they use a simple, non-invasive, and non-surgical procedure. Botulinum toxin injections are administered in minutes. And they allow patients to resume normal activities immediately.
There may be slight bruising or redness, as with any injection, for a day or so after treatment. But any other issues are very uncommon. Botox and Dysport both have great track records of safety. When performed by a qualified physician they should not produce anything more than mild side effects.
For the Best Results See an Experienced and Qualified Facial Plastic Surgeon
A knowledgeable facial plastic surgeon with an in-depth understanding of facial aesthetics can customize your Botox or Dysport injectable treatments to achieve the best results and prevent any possible complications. They can also be trusted to advise you about which treatment is right for you.
Botox and Dysport are not surgical treatments but they still require the proper skill to administer. Do not go for the best deal! Do your research! Choose an experienced surgeon for your non-invasive, injectable treatments. Dr. Bustillo offers a variety of injectable and minimally-invasive procedures tailored to your individual needs to make sure you look great.
Contact Dr. Bustillo and Schedule Your Facial Reconstructive Consultation
Dr. Andres Bustillo, M.D., F.A.C.S. is a facial plastic surgeon with extensive knowledge, experience, and outstanding qualifications. He is a facial specialist and does not treat any area of the body other than the face. This degree of specialization means he is always abreast of the latest advancements and on the cutting edge of facial plastic surgery. And it allows him the experience to achieve the best results for each patient no matter the facial shape, features, and type of skin.
Dr. Bustillo’s reputation is as someone who produces natural, long-lasting results. Twenty percent of his patients are other doctors and their families. Twenty-five percent of his patients come from outside the United States. He is board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) and the American Board of Otolaryngology — Head & Neck Surgery (ABOto) — one of a select few double board certified facial plastic surgeons.
He and his team can be contacted by phone at 305-663-3380 . The office of Dr. Bustillo is here to answer your questions, and help you to plan your initial consultation. Dr. Bustillo is committed to total patient care and support through his practice based just south of Miami, in beautiful and historic Coral Gables, Florida.